Thursday, December 2, 2010

Star Wars? No. Family Guy? No.

As the title of this particular post might suggest, I was thinking, considering my blog title or the Star Wars quotes on my blog, I should write about them. But no, what's to write? Apart from the fact that Star Wars is Awesome and Family Guy is so wrong, it's Awesome there's really nothing more to add. So I decided on something that takes up alot of my time. Reading, and the tpyes of books I read.



I was talking to one of my friend's the other day about reading (she doesn't like to read, finds it difficult! - only person I know who doesn't enjoy reading!!) and we were talking about the different types of books that people enjoy reading. I'm a huge fan of horror and fantasy - in that order, and if she tries to read, she reads chick-lit (not that there's anything wrong with that...).



It got me curious as to why people are drawn to certain genre's. I mean, I think I like horror because I enjoy the adrenalin rush (although, when the lights are all out and my imagination takes over, I dont enjoy it at all) and fantasy, because it is so different from the life I live today, it takes me away, lets me drop out of my life and into a world where I'm fighting every day for my life, overcoming huge obstacles and basically defeating evil SOB's. Of course, I dont enjoy every horror book I pick up and fantasy can sometimes be difficult to read (the types that I read, anyway). Mostly I stick to authors I know (especially for horror - Stephen King does something to me), but every once and awhile I try a new one, and am lucky.



But back to my original thought, why are people drawn to different genres? I cant answer that question, but I can take a stab in the dark about it. I think people pick up books for different reasons, as I've already said, I like to drop out and land in another world, my friend only likes to read stories that she can relate to, my dad reads westerns, which makes me think he likes the whole being a good guy and saving the town/damsell in distress from the bad guy (good overcomes evil at every end).



But really, I'm just pulling answers out of thin air. I dont know why people choose the books they do, but I would like to know. I mean, I get that people are different and are interested in different things, but could you really describe why you like the genres you do? I found it a little difficult, I like it because I like it, what's to explain? I'm interested in it because I am. Try it, and let me know what you think.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting questions! I lean towards SF and Fantasy but enjoy S. King as well. But I also read a big bunch of non-fiction, for fun!People often find that odd. And I also have a small addiction to magazines. OTOH, I have a mate who refuses to read books but reads papers every day. I can't wait to see opinions about your questions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, NF isn't really my thing, I try to read them, I get them home and end up bringing them back cause I just can't do it! :) I find it weird that some people don't like to read, it's such a bizarre concept to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. since I read the post I've been thinking about what genres I'm most attracted to and its a bit surprising. With the aid of Goodreads, yay I don't physically have to remember what I've read, my reading falls into about two main categories historical fiction and crime (I read a lot of Agatha Christie which bumped up the number). But there is also fantasy, some chick lit and general fiction to a lesser number. Throw in some NF and that pretty much sums up the smorgasboard of my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought I would say this, but it seems I prefer to read fantasy books (most of them being of the vampiric persuasion).

    When I was younger I didn't like fantasy because of the seeming impossibility of the plotlines and events, but now I really like them.

    Yes, I read a LOT of vampire stories, but I have also found myself branching out into the realms of fairies and ghosts also.

    I think my main reason for reading these is similar to yours, dude, because they are a step outside of real life. But in addition to this, I like vampires and fairies because they are both insanely beautiful and inhumanly strong - a cool combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't find much time to read, when I do it can take me two months to read a novel. I was listening to the ABC radio some time ago and the speaker said if don't prioritise reading very highly you won't read. I do listen to stories on audio though, in the car or when I'm laying in bed at night. Its a nice way to fall asleep.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I go through phases where I read a lot of one genre then move onto another. Right now I've ventured into sci-fi, mostly classic authors like Bradbury and Asimov, I've also started reading narrative non-fiction (not true crime though) which I'm really enjoying. I find that when I meet someone I really like and respect I try reading what they are and find that I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't read fantasy or science fiction at all - they're too celebral for me. They just seem so far removed from my reality that there's nothing I can relate to or grasp.

    ReplyDelete